Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Although I have not actually produced a "Stitch and/or drawing" every day during the past few weeks, I have made some interesting pieces. I usually make two or three of these pieces a week. This process of making small work on the spot has been fruitful. As I tend to take on numerous big projects- many of which have no end in sight- it is a good exercise to work on a smaller scale without putting so much pressure on myself.




Since I don't really plan before I make these pieces, I have noticed that the process has become somewhat like writing in a journal. I usually just thread a needle and start sewing, letting whatever I'm thinking about or feeling come out as I work. For instance, I am pretty sure I made the piece above on a day that I was feeling particularly stressed about my financial situation.

Another project I started this year includes a similar system of making a daily drawing. I have been documenting where I travel every day based on a map of Portland's streets and bike routes. Here is an image of my some of daily travel drawings.


Also: Planning sketch for drawing machine project



No comments:

Post a Comment